The Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic (more commonly known as the Houston College Classic) is annually among the very best events during the college baseball season. With four teams in our top 25 in the tournament, with the other two teams just on the outside looking in, it promised to be another fun weekend of college baseball.
As it turned out, we didn’t get a ton of close, suspenseful games this time around, and the atmosphere in the stadium was often lacking as a result, but it did give us a chance to learn a lot about the teams involved.
In this “What I Saw” edition of the College Baseball Central podcast, I discuss everything that went down at Minute Maid Park this past weekend, including:
- The surprising offensive outbursts from Arkansas and TCU
- The scary thought (for the rest of the Big 12) that TCU could get even better as the season rolls on
- Arkansas’ struggles in the rotation after Dominic Taccolini
- Texas Tech’s sneaky 2-1 weekend
- Louisiana-Lafayette’s 1-2 weekend that doesn’t seem as bad as a 1-2 record would make you think
- The Cajuns’ freshman starter Nick Lee, who spun a gem on Sunday
- Houston and Rice’s offensive woes
- Houston’s rotation question marks after Andrew Lantrip on Friday
As always, thanks for listening.