In this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks Virginia Cavaliers baseball with Andrew Ramspacher, the UVA beat writer for the Daily Progress.
The Cavaliers put together another quality season in 2017, and when the regular season wrapped, many thought they had a case to host a regional. Instead, they were sent to Ft. Worth, which was a tough draw for both UVA, given that they weren’t hosting, and TCU, given that the likely 17th team in the pecking order was sent to their regional as a two-seed.
Virginia flexed their offensive muscles all season long, but ultimately, the pitching depth issues that plagued them throughout the season led to their undoing in a regional, when they simply struggled to get outs once teams got past their front-line arms.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The powerful UVA lineup, which may have been the best in the Brian O’Connor era
- The pitching depth issues that the team was just never able to overcome
- How those pitching depth issues began prior to the 2017 season
- The roster attrition facing the Cavaliers heading into the 2018 season
- The facility renovations coming to Charlottesville
- How the program, given their level of recent success, is supported locally
Thanks for listening, everyone!