On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks South Carolina baseball with Matt Connolly of The State.
The 2017 season didn’t play out the way that most envisioned it would for the Gamecocks. After coming into the season as a top-ten team, the Gamecocks ended the season not only well out of the rankings, but also outside of the postseason picture altogether, as they missed a regional for the second time in three years under Chad Holbrook.
After much speculation about his job security throughout the latter half of the season, Holbrook stepped down at the end of the campaign and was replaced by Mark Kingston. Kingston will be tasked with replicating the success he had, both in recruiting and on the field, at Illinois State and South Florida.
Among the topics discussed on this edition of the show are:
- How pervasive the heat on Holbrook was as South Carolina struggled in 2017
- The local reaction to the Kingston hiring, both in the immediate aftermath and now that the new head coach has been in place for a couple of months
- Kingston’s vision for the program
- How Kingston has been performing on the recruiting trail, in the small sample we have available so far
- The team that Kingston will have on his hands in 2018
- The development of Carlos Cortes