The Bears came up just one game short of a regional appearance in 2017, as they dropped the final of the Southland Conference Tournament to Sam Houston State.
At first glance, the Bears look like a team capable of taking that next step and getting back into a regional, just as they did in 2013, thanks to a veteran returning pitching staff led by the seasoned Cody Davenport and Tyler Gray, who was drafted in the 20th round of the most recent MLB Draft, but chose to return to school, and a deep offense spearheaded by Hunter Strong, who hit an absurd .403/.472/.637 in Southland Conference games last season.
They’ll have some work to do to overcome the stalwarts at the top of the league like SHSU, Southeastern Louisiana, and McNeese State, but they have the veteran talent to do so.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The feeling around the team after they fell just short of getting into a regional
- Hunter Strong’s incredible consistency at the plate
- How the pitching staff will shake out, given that so many key pieces from the 2017 staff return
- Expectations for the 2018 season and how equipped the team is to challenge the teams at the top of the league
- Where UCA stands in the larger pecking order of the Southland Conference
Thanks for listening, everyone!