WACO, Texas – Three No. 23 Oklahoma State Cowboys pitchers combined to pitch a one-hitter as the Cowboys stave of a sweep at the hands of the Baylor Bears and win 4-1. The game featured two rain delays that totaled nearly four and a half hours and forced both starting pitchers to short outings.
Baylor would put small ball to work again in the first inning as they had so effectively throughout the series. Lawton Langford (Sr., 2B) led off the first inning with a walk and advanced to third on a sac bunt and a groundout. Langford would score on a single by Matt Menard (RFr., C) to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. The Cowboys would make sure this was the only Bears’ hit of the day.
The rains would come and so would the bullpens, but the runs wouldn’t arrive until the top of the sixth inning when Oklahoma State’s Gage Green (Jr., C) would score from third on a sac bunt by Donnie Walton (So., SS) after leading the inning off with a double and advancing to third on Tim Arakawa‘s (Jr., 2B) bunt single. Arakawa stole third and would score on a wild pitch by Daniel Castano (Fr., LHP) to give the Cowboys a 2-1 lead.
Castano would finish four relief innings with two earned runs allowed and two strike outs. Oklahoma State would score two more in the ninth as Conor Costello (So., DH) scored on a Ryan Sluder (Fr., LF) single to right field after reaching on an infield single. Sluder would score on a single by Green to extend the lead to 4-1.
Meanwhile, the Cowboys’ pitching kept Baylor shut down. Tyler Buffett (Fr., RHP) pitched four innings allowing only a walk while striking out four, retiring 12 in a row after a walk. Garrett Williams (Fr., LHP) closed out with four perfect innings, retired 12 hitters in a row as well, as the two combined with Thomas Hatch (Fr., RHP) on a one-hitter. Hatch pitched an inning before the rains came recording a strike out.
Oklahoma State improves to 1-2 in Big 12 play and will host TCU (1-2 in the Big 12) next weekend. Baylor falls to 4-2 in the Big 12 and plays at West Virginia who has yet to play a conference game.
Big 12 Baseball Scores
Texas Tech Red Raiders 12, TCU Horned Frogs 2
Texas Tech wins series 2-1
Texas Tech Notables
- Texas Tech improves to 3-3 in the Big 12
- Chris Sadberry (RJr., LHP) W 3-1, 5.0 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, K
- Bryant Burleson (Jr., 2B) 2-for-5, 2 2B, R, 5 RBI
- Texas Tech (3-3 in the Big 12) hosts No. 22 Texas (1-2 in the Big 12) next weekend
- TCU falls to 1-2 in the Big 12
- Tyler Alexander (Fr., LHP) L 3-2, 5.1 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, BB, 7 K
- Dylan Fitzgerald (Sr., RF) 2-for-3, R
- TCU (1-2 in the Big 12) plays at Oklahoma State (1-2 in the Big 12) next weekend
Kansas State Wildcats 5, Oklahoma Sooners 0
Oklahoma wins series 2-1
Kansas State Notables
- Kansas State improves to 1-2 in the Big 12
- Nate Griep (RFr., RHP) W 2-0, 9.0 IP, 3 H, BB, K
- Ross Kivett (Sr., CF) 3-for-5, R, RBI
- Kansas State (1-2 in the Big 12) plays at Creighton next weekend
- Oklahoma falls to 2-1 in the Big 12
- Jake Elliott (Fr., RHP) L 2-3, 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Hunter Haley (So., LF) 2-for-4
- Oklahoma (2-1 in the Big 12) plays at Kansas (2-1 in the Big 12) next weekend
Dartmouth Big Green 3, Kansas Jayhawks 2
Kansas wins the series 2-1
- Frank Duncan (Sr., RHP) ND, 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, BB, 7 K
- Jordan Piche’ (Sr., RHP) L 3-1, 2.1 IP, H, ER, BB, 2 K
- Blair Beck (Jr., 1B) 2-for-5, RBI
- Kansas (2-1 in the Big 12) hosts Oklahoma (2-1 in the Big 12) next weekend
UNC Wilmington Seahawks 13, West Virginia Mountaineers 10
UNC Wilmington wins series 2-1
West Virginia Notables
- Zach Bargeron (RSr., LHP) ND, 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 ER
- Corey Walter (Sr., RHP) L 0-3, 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, K
- Billy Fleming (Jr., 2B) 4-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- West Virginia (0-0 in the Big 12) hosts Baylor (4-2 in the Big 12) next weekend