NORMAN, Okla. – Hunter Haley (So., LF) played a part in two Oklahoma Sooner rallies, going 2-for-5 while scoring two runs and driving in another as the Sooners’ big fifth inning sinks the TCU Horned Frogs 9-5. Haley contributed in Sooner rallies in the first and fifth innings as Oklahoma beat their conference foe to open conference play at 1-0.
Haley doubled and scored in the first inning to tie the game after TCU had taken a 1-0 lead in the top half of the inning when Kevin Cron (Jr., DH) scored on a wild pitch by Sooner starter Connor Buchmann (Jr., RHP).
With the game tied at 3-3 in the home half of the fifth, Haley would break the tie, slapping a double down the right field line scoring Hector Lorenzana (Sr., SS/2B) and advancing Craig Aiken (So., CF) to third, after the duo had led the inning off with a pair of singles. Haley would score later in the inning on a passed ball as the Sooners rallied for four runs in the inning to take a 7-3 lead that would not be relinquished.
“That’s one of the better pitching staffs in the country,” Sooners’ head coach Pete Hughes noted as he talked about how impressed he was with the effort, “We got them on the ropes and when we had a chance to get the big hit we got the big hit. I thought our guys did a great job offensively.”
Aiken and Lorenzana would each have two hits and score a pair of runs in the Sooner’s winning effort while Sheldon Neuse (Fr., 3B) contributed a pair of doubles, going go 2-for-4 with an RBI. Cron went 2-for-4 with two runs scored for TCU while Derek Odell (, 3B) added a three hit night with a run scored and an RBI.
Big 12 Baseball Scores
No. 22 Texas 5, Dallas Baptist 0
- Lukas Schiraldi (Jr., RHP) W 3-1, 8.0 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 3 K
- Mark Payton (Sr., CF) 2-for-3, 3B, 2 BB, R, 2 RBI
No. 23 Oklahoma State 6, Missouri State 0
- Garrett Williams (Fr., LHP) ND, 3.0 IP, 2 BB, 4 K
- Tanner Kreitemeier (Sr., 1B) 2-for-4, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI
- Saulyer Saxon (Sr., CF) 2-for-4, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI
Texas Tech 20, Stephen F Austin 4
- Matt Withrow (So., RHP) W, 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, BB, 5 K
- Stephen Smith (Fr., CF) 5-for-6, 2 R, 3 RBI
Kansas State 17, Air Force 2
- Nate Griep (RFr., RHP) W 1-0, 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 K
- Mitch Meyer (RJr., RF) 3-for-6, 3B, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI
Baylor 9, Houston Baptist 3
- Danial Castano (Fr., LHP) W 2-0, 4.0 IP, 1 K
- Adam Toth (Jr., RF) 3-for-5, 3B, 2 R, RBI
New Mexico 6, Kansas 3
- Drew Morovick (Jr., RHP) L 3-1, 5.2 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, BB, 2 K
- Blair Beck (Jr., 1B) 2-for-3, R, RBI