LAFAYETTE, La. – The No. 7 Louisiana Lafayette baseball Ragin’ Cajuns hit five solo homers including back-to-back solo home runs in back-to-back innings on Sunday as they completed a sweep of the Georgia State Panthers 5-3 at M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field. Ryan Wilson (Sr., RF) and Michael Strentz (Jr., C) went back-to-back in the fourth while Ryan Leonards (Sr., 3B) and Seth Harrison (Sr., CF) repeated the feat in the 5th as the Cajuns’ matched the school record for their best start with the 2000 ball club at 22-2, 6-0 in the Sun Belt.
Jace Conrad (Jr., 2B) hit a solo shot of his own in the sixth after the Panthers cut the lead to 4-3 on a Nic Wilson (Sr., 1B) three run homer in the top of the inning, his second homer of the series and Sun Belt leading 10th of the year, to pull Georgia State within a run. Conrad, Harrison and Strentz are all tied for the Cajuns’ lead with five home runs on the season.
“Everything came down to approach,” said Cajuns’ head coach Tony Robichaux, “early in the game we had a poor approach. Coach (Matt) Deggs pulled the guys up and got the approach a lot better, and then we got some balls out of here.”
Louisiana Lafayette would only have five players get hits on the day and all five of them hit solo home runs and four of them had two hit days led by Conrad who added a double while Strentz, Leonards and Harrison each added a single. Caden Bailey (Jr., 3B) had a two hit day for the Panthers who fell to 1-5 in the Sun Belt.
“You can never be okay with losing, but I am happy with the effort, the attitude and some things in the game,” said Panthers’ head coach Greg Frady, “we’ll continue to put our emphasis on making adjustments and playing good baseball.”
Cajuns’ starting pitcher Cody Boutte (Sr., LHP) was solid pitching 6.1 innings and allowing three earned runs while striking out five for the win to move to 3-0 on the season. Georgia State starter Andrew Fessler (Sr., LHP) fell to 1-3 managing four and one-third innings pitched and allowing four earned runs in the loss. Chris Griffitt (Sr., LHP) pitched 2.2 innings for his first save of the year while striking out five hitters.
Louisiana Lafayette hit .360 for the series and out-scored Georgia State 27-12 as the Cajuns have outscored their opponents in Sun Belt play by a 66-16 margin, which is an average of 11-3 per game. The Cajuns hold the nation’s longest current win streak at 12 games and it is their second double-digit win streak this season. The Cajuns’ won 10 straight dropping their season opener.
Louisiana Lafayette stays at home all week as they host Northwestern State and Southern in a pair of midweek tilts before facing the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers for three games next weekend. WKU is 3-3 in the Sun Belt after dropping 2-of-3 at home to the Texas State Bobcats this weekend.
Other Sun Belt Baseball Scores
Texas State Bobcats 7, Western Kentucky 5
Texas State wins series 2-1
Texas State Notables
- Texas State is 5-1 in Sun Belt play, tied with Arkansas State for 2nd place
- Lucas Humpal (So, RHP) W 2-0, 6.1 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Ben McElroy (Jr., DH) 2-for-4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Texas State (5-1, tie 2nd place Sun Belt) plays at Arkansas State (5-1, tie 2nd place Sun Belt) next weekend
Western Kentucky Notables
- Western Kentucky is 3-3 in Sun Belt play in sixth place
- Jake Thompson (Sr., RHP) L 2-1, 2.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, K
- Lieff Clarkson (RFr., SS) 4-for-4, 2 RBI
- Western Kentucky (3-3, 6th place Sun Belt) plays at No. 7 Louisiana Lafayette (6-0, 1st place Sun Belt) next weekend
UALR Trojans 10, South Alabama Jaguars 0
South Alabama wins series 2-1
- UALR is 1-5 in the Sun Belt Conference, tied for 7th with three other teams
- Cameron Allen (Jr., RHP) W 2-1, 8.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- Ben Crumpton (Sr., CF) 3-for-5, R
- UALR (1-5, tie 7th place Sun Belt) plays at Louisiana Monroe (1-5, tie 7th place Sun Belt) next weekend
South Alabama Notables
- South Alabama is 3-2 in the Sun Belt Conference, tied for 4th with Troy
- Jared Gates (Jr., LHP) L 1-2, 4.1 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- South Alabama (3-2, tied 4th Sun Belt) hosts UT Arlington (1-5, tie 7th Sun Belt) this weekend
Troy Trojans 19, Louisiana Monroe Warhawks 3
Troy wins series 2-1
- Troy is 3-2 in the Sun Belt Conference, tied for 4th with South Alabama
- Ben Tidwell (RJr., RHP) ND, 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- David Hall (RJr,. DH) 5-for-5, HR, 2 2B, 4 R, 6 RBI
- Troy (3-2, 4th in the Sun Belt) plays at Georgia State (1-5, tie 7th in the Sun Belt) this weekend
Louisiana Monroe Notables
- Louisiana Monroe is 1-5 in the Sun Belt Conference, tied for 7th with three other teams
- Alex Hermeling (RSo., RHP) L 0-3, 2.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, BB, K
- Jacob Stockton (RSo., RF) 2-for-2, 2 2B, BB, 3 R
- Louisiana Monroe (1-5, tie 7th Sun Belt) hosts UALR (1-5, tie 7th Sun Belt) this weekend.
Arkansas State Red Wolves 14, UT Arlington Mavericks 10
Arkansas State wins series 2-1
Arkansas State Notables
- Arkansas State is 5-1 in the Sun Belt, tied for 2nd with Texas State
- Bradley Wallace (Sr., RHP) ND, 2.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, K
- Cody Woodhouse (Sr., RHP) W 2-0, 3.2 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, K
- Morgan Croft (Sr., RHP) S 3, 3.0 IP, H, 3 BB
- Dustin Jones (Sr., SS) 3-for-5, 3B, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Arkansas State (5-1, tied for 2nd Sun Belt) hosts Texas State (5-1, tied for 2nd Sun Belt)
UT Arlington Notables
- UT Arlington is 1-5 in the Sun Belt, tied for 7th with three other teams
- Zach Thompson (Jr., RHP) ND, 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Chase Weaver (Sr., LHP) L 2-1, 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, K
- Ryan Bottger (Jr., LF) 4-for-4, HR, BB, 4 R, 2 RBI
- UT Arlington (1-5, tied 7th Sun Belt) plays at South Alabama (3-2, tied 4th Sun Belt)