On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks UT- Rio Grande Valley baseball with Greg Luca of The Monitor.
The Vaqueros made some waves in the offseason when they hired Derek Matlock to be their new head coach after previous head coach Manny Mantrana moved into a role within the athletic department. Matlock will come to Edinburg with an impressive resume. He began his coaching career as a volunteer assistant at TCU before moving on to become the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator for Texas State under Ty Harrington, and most recently, he held the same position under head coach Randy Mazey at West Virginia for five seasons.
Matlock, moving forward, will be tasked with pushing UTRGV to the front of the WAC, a conference that’s been in transition of late. As a result, no one team has emerged as the power of the league, perhaps leaving the door open for a team like the Vaqueros to rise up and become that program.
Among the topics discussed in this episode are:
- The high level of interest shown in the head coach opening
- The local reaction to Matlock’s hiring
- What makes UTRGV such an attractive program
- The type of team that Matlock will have on his hands in 2018
- The prospect of UTRGV becoming a power in the WAC
- The history of the program, including a College World Series appearance under Al Ogletree
Thanks for listening, everyone!