On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks UNC-Wilmington baseball with Alex Riley of The Star-News.
The Seahawks fell short of expectations in 2017. After pushing to advance to a super regional in recent seasons, this past season was expected to be another that ended in the postseason. At College Baseball Central, we had the team ranked in our preseason top 25 as well. But the team got off to a slow start, and despite a late run in the regular season and then again in the CAA Tournament, ultimately fell short of a regional.
Heading into 2018, despite losing some key pieces from the teams of the last several seasons, there is optimism surrounding the program. They bring back a host of players eager to avenge 2017, and they’ve recruited quite well. Two incoming recruits, MLB draft pick Greg Jones and Miami transfer Kep Brown, appear particularly poised to have big impacts.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The events that led to UNCW falling short of expectations in 2017
- The pivotal point(s) in the season when Alex realized that the season might not be as successful as hoped
- The pleasant surprises for the team in 2017
- The chances that the team returns to the postseason in 2018
- The biggest questions that the coaching staff will be looking to answer in fall practice
Thanks for listening, everyone!