On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks UNC-Greensboro baseball with Jeff Mills of the News & Record.
The last two years have been successful ones for UNC-Greensboro under head coach Link Jarrett. In 2016, they finished 38-21 overall with a 15-9 mark in conference play. They notched big out-of-conference wins against the likes of Coastal Carolina and Wake Forest, and they boasted one of the most prolific offenses in the country. But life is sometimes cruel in smaller leagues, so when the Spartans came up short in the Southern Conference Tournament, they were left at home in the postseason.
In 2017, they got over that hump. They went 36-24 overall with a 14-10 mark in league play, but more importantly, they played well in the SoCon Tournament and punched their ticket to the regionals. And once they got to the Clemson Regional, they showed well in playing the host Tigers close twice and notching a win over St. John’s. Jarrett and his staff will look to keep things rolling in 2018.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The biggest factors in UNCG’s success over the last two seasons
- How the coaches and team balanced the disappointment of losing in a regional against the pride that they had for representing themselves well on that stage
- How sustainable this level of success is for the program moving forward
- How fertile the immediate recruiting area is for UNCG
- The local support for the program
Thanks for listening, everyone!