In this episode, I talked with Gene Schallenberg of the Huntsville Item about all things Sam Houston State baseball. Gene has been on staff at the Item for nine years, the last six of which he has spent, in part, on the SHSU baseball beat.
We covered a lot of ground in this podcast, including the following:
- His level of expectation for the 2016 team before the season began, given their inexperienced roster
- How the team turned things around after getting off to a 6-12 start
- The wacky series win at home over Northwestern State that served as something of a catalyst for the team
- The outlook for the 2017 season, what with a vast majority of contributors from last season returning, including two key pieces in the starting rotation in Riley Gossett and Heath Donica
- How the program has largely maintained their level of success across the tenures of three different head coaches- Mark Johnson, David Pierce, and now Matt Deggs
- Where the program can go from here, given what they’ve already accomplished and how much we’ve seen other mid-major programs succeed on a national scale over the last several years
Thanks for listening, everyone, and be sure, if you haven’t already, to head over to iTunes to leave us a rating or review. We would greatly appreciate that.