In this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks with Matt Mormann, who spent the 2017 season covering Southeast Missouri State baseball for the Southeast Arrow, the student publication on campus at SEMO, and Cape Girardeau’s local paper, the Southeast Missourian.
With a solid first season under head coach Andy Sawyers in the books, but with some relatively heavy roster turnover ahead for the second offseason in a row, there was plenty to talk about with Matt.
Among the topics covered are:
- How Matt characterizes a 2017 season for the Redhawks that didn’t end in an OVC title, as it had in the three previous years under Steve Bieser, but had been marked by a smooth transition to Sawyers and his staff
- The MVP of SEMO’s 2017 team, who might not be the guy you’d assume for that distinction based on raw stats
- Whose departure will affect the fortunes of the 2018 team the most
- Speculation on who might end up in the starting rotation next season after losing the team’s top two starters, Clay Chandler and Justin Murphy, to graduation
- Reasons to be bullish about the Redhawks’ 2018 campaign, even in the face of the aforementioned roster turnover
- How the community supports the SEMO baseball program beyond what you see for many mid-major programs out there
Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for listening, everyone.