In this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, I talked some Maryland baseball with Andrew Kramer of TestudoTimes.com, the SB Nation site covering the Terrapins.
Andrew has been a great resource for me not only on all things Maryland, but also the Big Ten at large and the ACC, given Maryland’s longtime membership in that league up until a couple of years ago.
Among the many items we discussed were:
- Why Maryland fell a little bit short of expectations in 2016
- Mike Shawaryn’s season and the perception that it might have been a down year for him
- The impact of freshmen like Nick Dunn, Marty Costes, Hunter Parsons, and Dan Maynard
- Pitching coach Jim Belanger’s departure for Kentucky
- The early outlook for 2017
- How support for the program has changed after the successes of 2014 and 2015
- Upgrades to the facility, what with the Big Ten currently involved in a baseball facilities arms race
Also, before Andrew joined me, I gave my thoughts on Texas hiring Tulane’s David Pierce to be their next head coach. There might be some grumbling in Austin about how long the search took, and folks might feel a little bit stung that the program swung and missed on some big targets early on in the search, but ultimately, they made a very solid hire in bringing on an accomplished coach with a sterling resume like Pierce.