The Dirtbags, coming off of a super regional appearance in 2017, had a tough 2018 season. They stumbled a bit out of the gate against what might have been the most difficult non-conference schedule in the country, with series losses to Saint Mary’s, TCU, Mississippi, and Texas A&M prior to getting Big West play underway. In addition to the tough slate in front of them, the injury bug bit in a big way, further hampering them before things could even really get started.
Heading into 2019, however, there are reasons for optimism, not least of which is the return to health of the aforementioned injured players who missed time in 2018.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The unluckiness of Long Beach State’s 2018 season, before it even began
- The aggressive scheduling style employed by head coach Troy Buckley and the reasoning behind it
- Players to watch for in 2019
- The level of expectation that 2019 will be a bounce back season for the program, however “bounce back” is defined
- The perception that the west coast is “down” in the national conversation around college baseball
- The origin story of J.J.’s website and the mission behind their coverage
- Long Beach food recommendations
Thanks for listening, everyone!