On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks Liberty baseball with Damien Sordelett of The News & Advance.
Liberty is heading into its second season under head coach Scott Jackson. Jackson, formerly an assistant at North Carolina under Mike Fox, certainly has the pedigree of a coach who could succeed in the right situation, and nothing that took place in his first season at Liberty suggests otherwise. The Flames went 32-23 overall with a 16-8 mark in Big South play, which is a solid season on its own, but is even better when you consider that so many first seasons under new head coaches are marked with awkward transitions, feeling out periods, and roster turnover.
In the big picture, Liberty is looking to become a power in the Big South. With Coastal Carolina gone to the Sun Belt, there is a power vacuum at the top of the league, and the Flames, with solid tradition, quality facilities, and reasonably good access to high school baseball hotbeds, look as poised as anyone to take that mantel. Jackson and staff will look to continue that march in 2018.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- Expectations for the building process under Scott Jackson
- Liberty’s ability to become the power program in the Big South
- Position battles to watch heading into 2018
- Games or series on the 2018 schedule that stand out as being pivotal for the team’s success
- Expectation for the 2018 season