In this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, we have another repeat guest in Danny Shapiro. Danny is the Lamar beat writer for the Beaumont Enterprise, so naturally, we’re talking Lamar Cardinals baseball with him.
The 2017 season was one of change for Lamar, as they were transitioning from longtime head coach Jim Gilligan to first-year head coach Will Davis. Given all of the returning players from the 2016 team, there were some reasonably high expectations for Lamar in 2017, and while the season didn’t end in a league title or a regional appearance, all things considered, it was a successful first season with Davis at the helm.
Among the topics discussed are:
- How the staff managed to make the head coaching transition happen so smoothly
- How Gilligan and Davis are alike and different when it comes to their approaches as head coach
- How Danny would characterize the 2017 season for Lamar, when balancing that the 2017 team was a veteran one with the fact that Davis was in his first year on the job
- An overview of the turnover that the team will face heading into the 2018 season
- Who the team will lean on for production and leadership in 2018
- The vision that Davis has for the program, including recruiting and facilities improvements