On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks Kentucky Wildcats baseball with Derek Terry of CatsIllustrated.com.
Given the rousing success that was the 2017 season for UK baseball, and the added intrigue of doing so with a first-year head coach in Nick Mingione, there was plenty of ground to cover on this edition of the show.
Among the topics discussed are:
- What Mingione brought to the table as a head coach that allowed his team to wildly exceed the expectations most set for them before the season
- How big a role player development played in the success of the 2017 team and how this coaching staff approaches that aspect of the job
- What surprised Derek about the 2017 team
- How UK did as far as having their players and incoming recruits drafted (NOTE: Since the podcast was recorded, Joey Cantillo has officially signed, and news has broken that Justin Lewis is expected to sign)
- Where Derek thinks the 2018 team will fall on the spectrum of either keeping the ball rolling or going back into rebuilding mode
- Some breakout candidates for next season, both among players who were already on the roster and among the incoming recruits
Thanks for listening, as always!