On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks Iowa Hawkeyes baseball with Dargan Southard of the Iowa City Press-Citizen and the Des Moines Register. Joe and Dargan talk about Iowa’s up and down season, the continued building process under Rick Heller, and what lies ahead in 2019.
Among the topics discussed are:
- How Iowa was a team with regional-caliber talent and regional-caliber results, without regional-caliber metrics
- The turning point in Iowa missing out on a regional, and specifically, the series loss to Northwestern
- Balancing the disappointment of missing out on a regional with the reality that the program continues to take positive steps forward under Rick Heller
- The outstanding 2018 season for Nick Allegeyer, who emerged as the staff ace
- The MVP of the 2018 Iowa season, which seems to be a two-man race between Allegeyer and catcher Tyler Cropley
- Expectations for Cole McDonald in 2019 and the possibility that he might be the next in line to start on Fridays for the Hawkeyes
- Early thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of the 2019 team and some names to watch before next season
- Best bets for a place to eat in Iowa City for a fan coming through town
Thanks for listening, everyone!