In this episode, I talked with Michael Hughes about all things Indiana baseball. Michael, a recent graduate of Indiana University, covered the baseball Hoosiers up through the 2016 season and spent this past summer as the editor-in-chief of the campus student newspaper, The Daily Student.
In our discussion, we touched on the following:
- Indiana’s up-and-down 2016 season that featured a slow start, a torrid run through the middle of the season that had the Hoosiers thinking about the postseason, and a sputter to the finish that ended with IU going quietly in the Big Ten Tournament.
- The outlook for a 2017 team that will feature a ton of returning players in the field, but will have to replace the entire weekend rotation from 2016.
- What to expect from the aforementioned rebuilt pitching staff in 2017, led by a group of young arms who just got their feet wet during the 2016 season.
- The cultural change around the campus community when it comes to Indiana baseball, given their high level success since the beginning of the 2013 season.
- The “new normal” across Big Ten baseball, featuring several possible league champions every season and a heightened level of play from top to bottom.
As always, thanks for listening, everyone.