On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks High Point baseball with Greer Smith of the High Point Enterprise.
Craig Cozart has engineered an impressive turnaround at High Point. In five of the seven seasons before Cozart took over as head coach after serving as a longtime assistant to Jay Bergman at UCF, the Panthers won 20 or fewer games. After a few years of building, Cozart has now established a solid baseline of success for the program, and in three of the last four years, his team has won 30 or more games.
At the same time, it’s a good time to be a program on the rise in the Big South. With Coastal Carolina now a couple of years removed from being in the league, things seem more wide open than ever at the top of the conference. Along with programs like Liberty, Radford, Winthrop, and Campbell, High Point is looking to establish itself as a team that could fill in the power vacuum at the top of the league.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- What has been behind the program’s turnaround under Cozart
- What will have to happen for the program to get over the next hurdle and get into a regional
- How equipped the program is to fill in the power vacuum at the top of the Big South
- Expectations for High Point’s 2018 season
- Position groups or individuals whose success is particularly important for the team in 2018
Thanks for listening, everyone!