On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks East Carolina baseball with Ronnie Woodward of the Daily Reflector. With his appearance this time around, Ronnie officially becomes the first two-time guest on the show. He first joined us at about this time last year, coming off of the Pirates’ super regional appearance.
Given the struggles of the 2017 edition of the Pirates, the discussion this time around was quite a bit different, but Ronnie, while acknowledging that the season didn’t go nearly as well as the team hoped, was still bullish on not only the program’s long-term trajectory, but also the promise of the 2018 team, which will face decidedly lower expectations.
Among the topics discussed this time around are:
- The sequence of events that led to the disappointing campaign
- The pivotal point or points during the season when Ronnie knew that things were getting sideways on ECU
- The late-season surge for the Pirates and how that might serve as a springboard into the 2018 season for those holdovers on the roster
- Thoughts on 2018, given the lower level of expectations and the idea that ECU is the type of program that tends to thrive when expectations are somewhat lower
- Breakout candidates among returnees and incoming recruits
Thanks for listening, everyone!