On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy talks BYU Cougars baseball with Jason Shepherd of BYUTV.
BYU was a solid baseball program for a long time under former head coach Vance Law. But over the last couple of years, under current head coach Mike Littlewood, they’ve taken a definitive step forward. In 2016, they won 37 games overall, but thanks to the team cooling off down the stretch and a schedule that didn’t do them a ton of favors from a metrics standpoint, they missed out on the postseason.
Then, in 2017, they broke through with 38 wins and got into a regional after winning the WCC Tournament to grab an automatic berth. While there are some pieces to replace, as there almost always are after a successful season like theirs in 2017, the Cougars look poised to challenge to get into the postseason once again in 2018.
Among the topics discussed on this episode are:
- The key to the program taking the next step under Littlewood and getting into a regional
- BYU’s style of play during this recent run of success
- How the roster is shaping up ahead of the 2018 season
- Expectations for the 2018 season
- The unique challenge of players leaving for missions
- Renovations going on at the baseball facility in Provo