On this episode of the College Baseball Central Podcast, Joe Healy is joined by Gene Schallenberg of the Huntsville Item to preview Sam Houston State baseball.
The Bearkats took another giant step as a program in 2017, as they won the Lubbock Regional, taking down national seed Texas Tech along the way, to advance to not only the program’s first super regional, but the Southland Conference’s first super regional.
As the team’s moves into 2018, they have the look of a group, at least on paper, that could be even better. They return just about everyone on the pitching staff, save for staff ace Heath Donica, but his loss is mitigated by the return of Riley Gossett, who was arguably the team’s best starter in 2016 before missing all of 2017 due to injury. Offensively, they don’t have an obvious superstar, but they return a bunch of production from last year and they will get a boost from a talented group of DI bounce back and grad transfers.
Among the topics discussed are:
- How perceptions of the program have shifted, if they have at all, after breaking through into a super regional
- The now-famous postgame quotes from Matt Deggs after the super regional defeat
- Where the largest holes are in the 2018 roster
- What makes Andrew Fregia a special player
- The strength of the offense, which is one without a superstar
- The growth potential for the program
Thanks for listening, everyone!