The Big 12 Conference heads into weekend eight still waiting for a team to jump out and grab a lead on the rest of the conference with a game separating first and last place in the conference. The action Friday night would create a game-and-a-half margin as Oklahoma State, Kansas State and TCU won opening games in conference series Friday night.
Stillwater would play host to a battle of top teams as the Oklahoma State Cowboys hosted the Texas Tech Red Raiders. The Cowboys, coming off a midweek win against the Oklahoma Sooners, would get the win over the Texas Tech Red Raiders.
The Kansas State Wildcats hosted the Kansas Jayhawks this weekend in an in-state tilt that figures to be pitching dominated. The Wildcats shut down the Jayhawks in game one behind the arm of Levi MaHorvis and a balanced offensive attack.
A three-run, ninth-inning rally propelled the TCU Horned Frogs to a win over the West Virginia Mountaineers to hand WVU their first conference loss. The Big 12 had two victories won on 3-run last at-bat rallies on the night.
Another three-run rally helped the Oklahoma Sooners earn an opening night win in an out-of-conference match-up against the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners. Oklahoma starting pitcher Corey Copping allowed only a run over six innings pitched to keep the Sooners in position for the victory.
No. 25 Oklahoma State 3, Texas Tech 1
STILLWATER, Okla. – Oklahoma State Cowboys (21-9, 4-3 Big 12) hurler Jon Perrin (Jr., RHP) allowed an earned run over six innings while striking out for to move to 3-2 on the year as the Cowboys defeated the Red Raiders (23-10, 4-6) 3-1 Friday night. Saulyer Saxon (Sr., CF) went 1-for-2 with a run and an RBI for the Cowboys in the pitching duel.
- OSU – Jon Perrin (Jr., RHP) W, 3-2, 6.0 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 4 K
- OSU – Brendan McCurry (Sr., RHP) S, 6, 1.0 IP, 1 K
- OSU – Saulyer Saxon (Sr., CF) 1-for-2, 2B, BB, R, RBI
- TTU – Matt Withrow (So., RHP) L, 3-3, 1.0 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, K
- TTU- Eric Gutierrez (So., 1B) 1-for-3, HR, R, RBI
Kansas State 10, Kansas 0
MANHATTAN, Kan. – Wildcat starter Levi MaHorvis (So., RHP) threw a complete game shut out Friday night to give Kansas State (18-11, 2-2 Big 12) the series opening win over Kansas (19-11, 3-4), 10-0. MaHorvis got plenty of run support with Austin Fisher (Jr., SS) scoring three runs and Tanner DeVinny (Fr., DH) drove in three more in the victory.
- KSU – Levi MaHorvis (So., RHP) W, 4-3, 9.0 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- KSU – Tanner DeVinny (Fr., DH) 1-for-2, HR, BB, HBP, 2 R, 3 RBI
- KU – Jordan Piche’ (Sr., RHP) L, 4-3, 5.0 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
TCU 4, West Virginia 3
FORT WORTH, Texas – The Horned Frogs (17-12, 3-4 Big 12) scored three-runs in the bottom of the ninth to overcome a two-run deficit and defeat the Mountaineers (16-9, 2-1 Big 12) 4-3. WVU starting pitcher Harrison Musgrave (Jr., LHP) allowed a single run over seven innings of work but wouldn’t figure in the decision. TCU won on a walk-off sac fly hit by Dylan Fitzgerald (Sr., RF).
- TCU – Trey Teakell (RJr., RHP) W, 1-0, 3.1 IP, 2 H, ER, 4 K
- TCU – Derek Odell (Jr., 3B) 2-for-3, 2BB, R
- WVU – Michael Bennett (Jr., RHP) L, 2-1, 0.2 IP, 2 H, ER, BB
- WVU – Jacob Rice (Jr., LF) 2-for-4, 3B, 2 RBI
Oklahoma 4, Cal State Bakersfield 2
NORMAN, Okla. – The Oklahoma Sooners (21-10, 4-2 Big 12) put together a three-run rally in the seventh to defeat Cal State Bakersfield (11-17) 4-2. Sooner starter Corey Copping (So., RHP) allowed only a run on four hits and a walk holding the Roadrunners in check until the seventh. Austin O’Brien (Fr., DH) started the rally with an RBI triple as the Sooner would plate three en route to the win.
- OU- Kyle Hayes (Sr., RHP) W, 3-0, 1.0 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- OU- Ralph Garza, Jr. (So., RHP) S, 6, 1.0 IP, K
- OU – Austin O’Brien (Fr., DH) 2-for-3, 3B, R, RBI