WACO, Texas – Baylor Bears’ starting pitcher Brad Kuntz (RJr., LHP) set career highs for innings pitched and strike outs, stymieing the No. 23 Oklahoma State Cowboys for the 4-1 win Friday night. Kuntz stranded 13 Cowboys’ baserunners on the night while striking out eight over seven innings of work effectively spoiling the Cowboys’ Big 12 opener. Kuntz allowed an earned run off of eight hits and a walk to move to 4-0 on the season.
The Cowboys only run off Kuntz came in the third inning as Aaron Cornell (Sr., LF) scored on a single by Tanner Krietmeier (Sr., 1B) after singling and stealing second to move into scoring position. Oklahoma State had baserunners in every inning but the first as Kuntz and company stymied their offensive efforts throughout the game.
Drew Tolson (RFr., RHP) relieved Kuntz in the eighth and was pulled with two outs in the inning after allowing a single to Conor Costello (So., DH) in favor of Doug Ashby (Sr., LHP) who walked the only batter he faced.
The Bears turned to Josh Michalec (Sr., RHP) who struck out pinch hitter Saulyer Saxon (Sr.) to end the inning. Michalec would hit a batter and issue two walks to load the bases in the ninth before getting pinch hitter Garrett Williams (Fr.) to ground out and end the game earning his ninth save on the season.
“We had some opportunities, and we were one big swing of the bat away from putting ourselves right in the game there in the eighth and ninth innings,” said Cowboys’ head coach Josh Holliday about Oklahoma State’s late inning scoring opportunities.
Baylor was able to get to Oklahoma State’s starter Jon Perrin (Jr., RHP) early plating a run in the first inning using small ball to turn a lead-off walk by Lawton Langford (Sr., 2B) into the game’s first run on a Matt Menard (RFr., C) sac fly after a sac bunt moved him into scoring position.
With the game tied at 1-1 Baylor’s small ball attack struck again as Brett Doe (Sr., SS) lead off the third inning with a single and would score on Mitch Price’s (So., 1B) single, the third single of the inning for the Bears. Duncan Wendel’s (Jr., 3B) sac fly would score Menard who hit the Bears’ second single of the inning moving Doe to third following a sac bunt that moved him to second as Baylor took the lead 3-1.
Perrin falls to 2-1 on the season pitching 5.2 innings for the Cowboys allowing four runs, three earned, on six hits and two walks while striking out five. Perrin was pulled for reliever Alex Hackerott (So., LHP) after Baylor added an insurance run on a fielding error by Oklahoma State’s second baseman Tim Arakawa (Jr.) extending the lead to 4-1.
Hackerott would allow a hit while striking out four over the final 2.1 innings to keep the Cowboys in striking distance.
Baylor improves to 3-1 in the Big 12 while Oklahoma State falls to 0-1.
Big 12 Baseball Scores
TCU Horned Frogs 9, Texas Tech Red Raiders 0
TCU leads series 1-0
- TCU wins Big 12 opener now 1-0 in conference play
- Brandon Finnegan (Jr., LHP) W 4-2, 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 10 K
- Keaton Jones (Jr., SS) 3-for-4, 2 R, RBI
Texas Tech Notables
- Texas Tech falls to 1-3 in the Big 12
- Dominic Moreno (Jr., RHP) L 1-4, 3.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 5 BB, 3 K
- Hunter Redman (Jr., C) 1-for-2, BB
Oklahoma Sooners 11, Kansas State Wildcats 4
Oklahoma leads series 1-0
- Oklahoma wins Big 12 opener now 1-0 in conference play
- Corey Copping (So., RHP) ND, 4.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Hunter Haley (So., LF) 2-for-4, HR (Grand slam), 2 R, 4 RBI
Kansas State Notables
- Kansas State loses Big 12 opener dropping to 0-1 in conference play
- Levi MaVorhis (So., RHP) L 3-2, 4.2 IP, 10 H, 4 ER
- Austin Fisher (Jr., SS) 1-for-2, BB, HBP, 2 R
No. 22 Texas Longhorns 7, Columbia Lions 3
Texas leads series 1-0
- Dillon Peters (Jr., LHP) W 3-1, 6.0 IP, 7 H, ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Collin Shaw (Jr., RF) 3-for-4, 3B, R, 3 RBI
UNC Wilmington Seahawks 2, West Virginia 1, 10 innings
UNC Wilmington leads series 1-0
West Virginia Notables
- Harrison Musgrave (RJr., LHP) ND, 9.0 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 7 K
- Billy Fleming (Jr., 2B) 2-for-4