WACO, Texas – Baylor Bears starter Austin Stone (Jr., RHP) threw a complete game three-hitter to clinch the series for the Bears with a 4-1 win over the No. 23 Oklahoma State Cowboys. Baylor has won both games of the series thus far by identical scores on the backs of two stellar pitching performances by their starting pitchers. Stone allowed one run off of three hits and two walks while striking out seven hitters after working around two early inning scoring threats.
Stone allowed an unearned run in the fifth inning when he struck out the lead-off man Saulyer Saxon (Sr., CF) on a wild pitch that allowed him to reach first base. Saxon would advance to second on another wild pitch. With one out Saxon would steal third and a throwing error by Stone allowed Saxon to score the Cowboys’ only run of the game cutting the Bears’ lead to 3-1.
Stone would cruise from that point retiring 15 of the next 16 hitters to shut down the Oklahoma State attack. Prior to allowing the run in the fifth, Stone had gotten 8 of the 9 hitters that led up to that inning out. This win improved Stone’s record to 3-1 on the season.
“I know [Austin Stone] was frustrated early on in the game when he got behind in some counts. He had a couple walks early in the game, and I thought he got off to a slow start,” said Baylor head coach Steve Smith about Stone’s performance, “You never really know with him whether he feels great or feels awful, he’s the same guy. A lot of times we like to see a little emotion, but if a guy has it inside of him then that’s all that matters, and clearly he does.”
Baylor scored in the first inning for the second consecutive game in this series which has been a bit of a trend for the Bears who now have first inning scores in seven straight games. That seems to be the Baylor way so far this year, get the early lead and rely on solid starting pitching to make that lead stick.
Lawton Langford (Sr., 2B) led the game off for the Bears with a single to right field but would be gunned down trying to score the game’s first run. Brett Doe (Sr., SS) got that opportunity after being hit by a pitch and then moving around the bases on an error by Cowboys’ short stop Donnie Walton (So.) and the fielder’s choice that stopped Langford from scoring. Doe scored when Duncan Wendel (Jr., 3B) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Matt Menard (RFr., C) and Aaron Dodson (Fr., 1B) scored when West Tunnell (So., DH) smacked a 1-and-1 delivery to left field for a two-out single giving the Bears a 3-0 lead and chasing Cowboys’ starter Mark Robinette (Sr., RHP) from the game.
Oklahoma State turned to Vince Wheeland (Sr., RHP) who hit Darryn Sheppard (Fr., LF) with a pitch before getting out of the inning on a fielder’s choice. Baylor would eventually get to Wheeland in the fifth when Doe scored on a double-play ball after leading off the inning with a single and then stealing second to increase Baylor’s lead to 4-1. Cowboys’ reliever Blake Battenfiled (Fr., RHP) came on to pitch three hitless, scoreless innings to stop the Bears’ offense.
Robinette took the loss, falling to 1-2 on the year. Baylor clinched the series winning both games with small ball and solid pitching and now are 4-1 in the Big 12.
Oklahoma State looks to avoid the sweep on Sunday against reigning Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Dillon Newman (Sr., RHP) who is 2-1 with a 3.08 ERA.
Big 12 Baseball Scores
Texas Tech Red Raiders 10, TCU Horned Frogs 2
Series tied at 1-1
Texas Tech Notables
- Texas Tech improves to 2-3 in the Big 12
- Cameron Smith (Jr., LHP) ND, 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB
- Jonny Drozd (Sr., LHP) W 2-0, 6.0 IP, 3 H, BB, 4 K
- Zach Davis (So., PH/DH) 2-for-4, 2B, BB, 3 R, 2 RBI
- TCU falls to 1-1 in the Big 12
- Preston Morrison (Jr., RHP) L 2-3, 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB
- Kevin Cron (Jr., 1B) 3-for-3, R
Oklahoma Sooners 11, Kansas State Wildcats 2
Oklahoma leads series 2-0
- Oklahoma improves to 2-0 in the Big 12
- Adam Choplick (RSo., LHP) ND, 6.1 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Kindle Ladd (Sr., RHP) W 1-0, 0.1 IP, BB, K
- Mac James (Jr., C) 2-for-4, HR (grand slam), R, 4 RBI
Kansas State Notables
- Kansas State falls to 0-2 in the Big 12
- Jared Moore (Sr., LHP) ND, 4.2 IP, 6 H, ER, 2 K
- Jakey Whaley (Jr., RHP) L 1-1, 1.1 IP, H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Tyler Stover (Fr., DH) 2-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI
No. 22 Texas Longhorns 6, Columbia Lions 1, Game 1
Texas leads series 2-0
- Parker French (Jr., RHP) W 3-2, 7.1 IP, 6 H, ER, 3 BB, 6K
- Brooks Marlow (Jr., 2B) 2-for-4, BB, R 2 RBI
No. 22 Texas Longhorns 11, Collumbia Lions 0, Game 2
Texas sweeps series 3-0
- Nathan Thornhill (Sr., RHP) W 4-0, 8.0 IP, 5 H, BB, 4 K
- Tres Barrera (Fr., DH) 4-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
Kansas Jayhawks 11, Dartmouth Big Green 7
Kansas leads series 2-0
- Robert Kahana (Jr., RHP) ND, 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Drew Morovick (Jr., RHP) W 4-1, 2.1 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB
- Dakota Smith (Jr., DH) 2-for-5, HR (grand slam), R, 5 RBI
- Michael Suiter (Jr., LF) 4-for-5, 2 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
West Virginia Mountaineers 9, UNC Wilmington Seahawks 3
Series tied 1-1
West Virginia Notables
- Sean Carley (RJr., RHP) W 4-0, 6.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Ryan Tezak (Sr., RHP) S 1, 3.0 IP, BB, 3 K
- Billy Fleming (Jr., 2B) 3-for-5, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Bobby Boyd (Jr., CF) 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI