Big 12 action continued on Saturday as conference rivals continue in their attempt distance themselves from the pack. The TCU Horned Frogs and Oklahoma Sooners swept double headers and also their weekend series while the Texas Tech Red Raiders and Kansas Jayhawks each got wins to even their series and set up Sunday rubber matches.
TCU (19-14, 5-4 Big 12) won both ends of their double header against the West Virginia Mountaineers (16-11, 2-3 Big 12) to sweep the series from WVU who entered the series in a tie for first place with the Sooners. TCU pitchers allowed only one run over both games of the double header to earn the sweep.
Oklahoma (23-10) powered their way to a double header sweep of the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners. Oklahoma sweeps the weekend series.
Texas Tech (24-10, 5-6 Big 12) evened their series against the No. 25 Oklahoma State Cowboys (21-10, 4-4 Big 12) with a win on Saturday. Texas Tech scored 16 runs on 12 hits and seven walks to blow out the Cowboys in Stillwater and set up a Sunday rubber match.
Kansas (20-11, 4-4 Big 12) doubled up their in-state rival the Kansas State Wildcats (18-12, 2-3 Big 12) 6-3 to even the series. Solid pitching and a 13 hit effort were part of the victory that sets up a rubber match for Sunday afternoon.
TCU 8, West Virginia 0, Game 1
FORT WORTH, Texas – Preston Morrison (Jr., RHP) pitched a compete game, one-hit shut out for TCU in game one of the double header. Boomer White (So., LF) led the offensive attack for the Horned Frogs with a three-hit game, scoring two runs with a pair of RBI.
- TCU – Preston Morrison (Jr., RHP) W, 3-3, 9.0 IP, H, BB, 7 K
- TCU – Boomer White (So., LF) 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB
- WVU – Sean Carley (RJr., RHP) L, 5-1, 5.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, K
TCU 3, West Virginia 1, Game 2 FORT WORTH, Texas – Thee TCU pitchers combined to allow an earned run on five hits and a walk to lead the Horned Frogs to the game two victory over WVU. Alex Young (So., LHP) started the game and hurled 4.1 innings allowing an earned run on three hits but would not figure in the decision. Cody Jones (Jr., CF) led TCU with two hits, a run scored and an RBI.
- TCU – Tyler Alexander (Fr., LHP) W, 4-3, 2.2 IP, 2 H, K
- TCU – Riley Ferrell (So., RHP) S, 4, 2.0 IP, 4 K
- TCU – Cody Jones (Jr., CF) 2-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- WVU – Michael Bennett (Jr., RHP) L, 2-2, 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, K
Oklahoma 17, Cal State Bakersfield 4 NORMAN, Okla. – Sheldon Neuse (Fr., 3B) drove in eight runs and hit two homers to power the Sooners in game one of the double header. Hunter Haley (So., LF) and Mac James (Jr., C) each had a three hit day as Haley scored three runs and James scored two and drove in two more.
- OU – Kindle Ladd (Sr., RHP) W, 2-1, 4.1 IP, H, BB, K
- OU – Sheldon Neuse (Fr., 3B) 3-for-6, 2 HR, 3B, 3 R, 8 RBI
Oklahoma 4, Cal State Bakersfield 3 NORMAN, Okla. – Neuse had three hits and an RBI as the Sooners took game two and swept the Roadrunners. Jake Elliott (Fr., RHP) pitched seven innings allowing only three earned runs but didn’t figure in the decision.
- OU – Robert Tasin (RJr., RHP) W, 3-2, IP, H, K
- OU – Ralph Garza, Jr. (So, RHP) S, 7, IP, H, BB, 2 K
- OU- Sheldon Neuse (Fr., 3B) 3-for 5, RBI, SB
Texas Tech 16, Oklahoma State 6 STILLWATER, Okla. – Adam Kirsch (Sr., DH) hit two home runs while driving in six runs to lead the Red Raiders in the route of Oklahoma State. Eric Guitierrez (So., 1B) contributed four RBI and Todd Ritchie (Sr., RF) scored four runs in the blowout effort.
- TTU – Corey Taylor (Jr., RHP) W, 4-0, 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER
- TTU – Adam Kirsch (Sr., DH) 3-for-5, 2 HR, 2B, 3 R, 6 RBI
- OSU – Tyler Buffett (Fr., RHP) L, 2-1, 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, BB
Kansas 6, Kansas State 3 MANHATTAN, Kan. – Robert Kahana (Jr., RHP) bottled up the Wildcats allowing no earned runs on three hits and five walks over six innings to get the win for the Jayhawks as they evened the series. Ka’iana Eldredge (Sr., C) led the offense with a run scored and an RBI on his two-hit day.
- KU – Robert Kahana (Jr., RHP) W, 2-4, 6.0 IP, 3 H, R, 5 BB, K
- KU – Stephen Villines (Fr., RHP) S, 3, 1.1 IP, 2 H, BB
- KU – Ka’iana Eldredge (Sr., C) 2-for-3, 2B, SH, R, RBI
- KSU – Jared Moore (Sr., LHP) L, 5-2, 5.2 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- KSU – Tanner DeVinny (Fr., DH) 2-for-4, 2 R